ABKCO Music and Records Official Store
Alejandro Jodorowsky: 4K Restoration Collection (4 Blu-ray/2 CD)
Alejandro Jodorowsky 4K Restoration Collection (Blu-Ray, CD)
This deluxe box set titled Alejandro Jodorowsky: 4K Restoration Collection, includes three of Jodorowsky’s cult-favorite classics: El Topo, The Holy Mountain, and Fando Y Lis, restored in 4K on region free Blu-ray, as well as his latest, and most inspirational film Psychomagic, A Healing Art.
Loaded with extras and ephemera, the box set features a 78-page book with photos and essays, a set of art cards together with 4 blu-ray discs and 2 CDs housed in a high quality case. Also included are new interviews with Jodorowsky, his son Brontis, who makes his acting debut as the young boy in El Topo and Pablo Leder, Jodorowsky’s long time personal assistant. Columbia University professor Richard Peña provides insightful introductions to each of these classic films. A short film, The A to Z of The Holy, narrated by Jodorowsky biographer Ben Cobb, probes the history of Jodorowsky and his films. Also included are CD soundtracks for El Topo and The Holy Mountain plus Jodorowsky’s rarely seen first film, the 1957 short film La Cravate completes this special collectable package.
In 2020, Jodorowsky is as relevant as he's ever been. In addition to completing Psychomagic, A Healing Art, he supervised the color correction of the 4K restorations of his essential films using the original 35mm elements, with stunning and vibrant results. El Topo is presented in 1:33 aspect ratio as it was shown in theaters in 1970. It is also available for the first time in 1.85:1 widescreen. Jodorowsky originally envisioned the film with this aspect ratio as an homage to Sergio Leone, and a half century later, that dream has finally been fulfilled.
- New 4K restorations on Region Free Blu-Ray from original 35mm elements • New color corrections supervised by Alejandro Jodorowsky • El Topo first time ever director approved wide screen (1:85:1) • Director commentary tracks • English, French, and Spanish subtitles • Soundtracks from The Holy Mountain and El Topo on CD • Book with photos and essays
- A to Z of Jodorowsky – Ben Cobb • 2019 interview with Alejandro Jodorowsky • Newly filmed interview with Brontis Jodorowsky (El Topo) • Newly filmed interview with Pablo Leder, personal assistant to Alejandro Jodorowsky (El Topo and The Holy Mountain) • New introductions by Columbia Film Professor Richard Peña
PSYCHOMAGIC, A HEALINIG ART (2019) 120 minutes
Explores the directors therapeutic work, showing by means of real acts, what Psychomagic is: its principle, how it is practiced and how it applied in life. In the film, Jodorowsky works directly with real, suffering people who are eager to solve their problems through the use of this radical and transformative mode of therapy.
THE HOLY MOUNTAIN (1972) 113 minutes
The scandal of the 1973 Cannes Film Festival, writer/director Alejandro Jodorowsky’s flood of sacrilegious imagery and existential symbolism is a spiritual quest for enlightenment pitting illusion against truth. The Alchemist (Jodorowsky) assembles a group of people from all walks of life to represent the planets in the solar system. The occult adept’s intention is to put his recruits through strange mystical rites and divest them of their worldly baggage before embarking on a trip to Lotus Island. There they ascend the Holy Mountain to displace the immortal gods who secretly rule the universe.
EL TOPO (1970) 124 minutes
It was the landmark cult film that began the whole Midnight Movie phenomena of the counterculture crazy 1970s. EL TOPO was the most talked about, most shocked about and most controversial quasi-Western head trip ever made transforming the way risk-taking audiences, seeking mainstream Hollywood alternatives, watched edgy under-ground films and how the industry learned to market them. Classic Americana and avant-garde European cinema sensibilities meet Zen Buddhism and the Bible as master gunfighter and cosmic mystic El Topo (played by writer/director Alejandro Jodorowsky) must defeat his four sharp-shooting rivals on an ever-increasingly bizarre path to allegorical self-enlightenment and surreal resurrection.
FANDO Y LIS (1968) 93 minutes
Banned in Mexico, a permanent cause celebre, surrealist “fabulator’” Alejandro Jodorowsky’s unique career began with this bizarre tale of corrupted innocence, sadomasochistic love and unattainable paradise. Created from hazy memories of the controversial Fernando Arabal play he staged in Paris. Jodorowsky’s sublime freak-out follows impotent Fando (Sergio Kleiner) and his paraplegic sweetheart Lis (Diana Mariscal) searching for the enchanted city of Tar where spiritual ecstasy resides. Boasting some of his most disturbing images, the astounding road trip takes them through urban rubble, scalding deserts, treacherous mountains, their own pasts and close encounters of the weirdest kind in Jodorowsky’s seminal signature work of startling provocation and incendiary art.
LE CRAVATE (1957) 20 minutes
The Maestro’s first film. A short mime adaptation of a Thomas Mann story about a Parisian urchin who makes her living selling human heads.
CD Track Listings:
Disc 1 – El Topo Soundtrack
- Entierro Del Primer Juguete (Burial of the First Toy)
- Bajo Tierra (Under the Earth)
- La Catedral De Los Puercos (The Pigs Monastery)
- Los Mendigos Sangrados (The Holy Beggars)
- La Muerte Es Un Nacimiento (Death Is Birth)
- Curios Mexicano (Mexican Curios)
- El Agua Viva (Living Water)
- Vals Fantasma
- El Alma Nace en la Sangre (The Soul Born in the Blood)
- Topo Triste
- Los Dioses De Azucar (The Sugar Gods)
- Las Flores Nacen En El Barro (Flowers Born in the Mud)
- El Infierno De Los Angeles Prostitutos (The Hell of the Prostituted Angels)
- Marcha De Los Ojos En El Triangulos (March of the Eyes in the Triangles)
- La Miel Del Dolor (The Pain of the Honey)
- 300 Conejos (300 Rabbits)
- Conocimiento A Traves De La Musica (Knowledge Through Music)
- La Primera Flor Despues Del Diluvio (The First Flower After the Flood)
Disc 2 – The Holy Mountain Soundtrack
- Trance Mutation
- Pissed And Passed Out
- Violence Of The Lambs
- Drink It
- Christs 4 Sale
- Cast Out and Pissed
- Eye of the Beholder
- Rainbow Room
- Alchemical Room
- Tarot Will Teach You/Burn Your Money
- Mattresses, Masks & Pearls
- Isla (The Sapphic Sleep)
- Psychedelic Weapons
- Rich Man In a Fishbowl
- Miniature Plastic Bomb Shop
- Fuck Machine
- Baby Snakes
- A Walk In The Park
- Mice and Massacre
- City of Freedom
- The Climb/Reality (Zoom Back Camera)
- Pantheon Bar